Wednesday, January 23, 2008

"We cannot police our way out of this"

The following link is probably one of the most comprehensive looks at Baltimore's homicide rate in recent history. Written by a former editor of mine who runs the "Murder Ink" column in City Paper, the piece is stat-heavy but still very insightful:


Bloodletting: Can Anything Be Done to Bring Baltimore's Homicide Rate Down?


I always feel hopeful at the beginning of the year, but then again Baltimore's first murder of 2008 did occur on Jan. 1 at 12:02 a.m.

1 comment:

Katie said...

I don't live in Baltimore anymore, but I read Murder Ink like it's my job. There were 7 murders in the first 7 days of 2007. 2008's stats are way behind 2007's. I joked with Chip the other day about why it changed all of a sudden. The truth is, I'm just waiting for something big to happen (i.e. the discovery of 22 bodies in vacants). The criminals don't care that it's 2008 now; they haven't really stopped killing. We just haven't found the bodies yet.